The Spungen Foundation has three strategic areas of support:
- Building Community awareness about breast and ovarian cancer BRCA gene mutations and the importance of screening.
- Building a more robust community of genetic counselors by:
- Growing the community through advocating to hospitals to hire more;
- Bringing existing genetic counselors together for training/ education.
- Helping to identify, and therefore educate, caregivers about resources that may be available, and,
- Respite care which offers the family caregiver breaks.
In general, the foundation prefers to support Family Caregiving generally, and not limit support to a particular ailment.
The Spungen Holocaust Collection raises awareness and facilitates discussion of the Holocaust and breakdowns in humanity.
Shared Interest Grants
The Foundation also provides mission-related support to organizations working in areas of shared interest amongst the Board of Trustees. These grants are by invitation only.