Concentration Camp Ravensbrück
Ravensbrück, located 65 kilometers north of Berlin near Fürstenberg, was Germany’s only major concentration camp for women – successor to the Lichtenburg concentration camp in Saxony that opened in 1934 and became a women’s camp in 1938. Ravensbrück opened May 15, 1939, and was liberated by the Red Army on April 29, 1945.
Pictured Below: The June 18, 1942, formular post card has a preprinted message notifying the recipient that the sender is a prisoner at Ravensbrück. Besides repeating the strict rules about mail between prisoners and their families, the formular lettersheet inside the May 28, 1940, envelope has an added handstamp marking admonishing the recipient to pay strict attention to the regulations.
Download Frame 2 – Page 9 as a PDF