Concentration Camp Mauthausen
The Mauthausen concentration camp opened near Linz, Austria, where the Enns River meets the Danube, on August 8, 1938. Subcamps at Gusen, 4.5 kilometers to the west, opened in May of 1940. Mauthausen remained in operation until May 4, 1945, when SS guards fled and the International Mauthausen Committee resistance organization took charge. The United States Army arrived and liberated the camp on May 5.
Pictured Above and Below: A June 26, 1941, Mauthausen prisoner’s formular envelope and enclosed lettersheet.
Download Frame 4 – Page 6 as a PDF